Thanks to Kisany, more than 200 women in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda and Kenya are now skilled, employable embroiderers and dressmakers. These women work to support their families and communities. They are responsible for more than 1000 lives; men, women and children who now attend school, eat and live in sanitary conditions..
KISANY has had an immense personal effect on the lives of many women in East Africa through its L’Ecole des Femmes. L’Ecole des Femmes provides education including life skills and work training. This impact would not have been as substantial, or even possible, without the support of our partners: the Fundación Juan Entrecanales de Azcárate, the Fondation Sisley-d’Ornano, Eastern Congo Initiative, Relecom, private donations and our many loyal clients.
We would like to share an overview of our accomplishments :
- More than 14 000 days of work paid working days were provided.
- 163 children attended school in the academic year 2016-2017
- 33 people 33 people received loans. to purchase homes, continue school or start a business.
- 28 families now own their own home.
- 257 craftsmen received specific training, working toward becoming more autonomous and ensuring sustainability
- The workshop formed their own business entity called AGAPE, testifying to the confidence and independence of the team.
-Thanks to Ecole des Femmes, the women received courses in embroidery and sewing, as well as literacy, financial management, preventive health and womens’ rights.
Watch this short film, graciously provided by Natacha Mottar, and hear how KISANY has changed Emma’s life. Emma now feels positive about her future. Her children have forgotten how hunger feels and they attend school. For Emma, humiliation and exclusion have given way to pride, self confidence and respect from the community.
Kisany hopes to continue its work, supporting AGAPE and giving more women like Emma the opportunity to work and regain their future.